Friday, November 26, 2010

Welcome to Crackers on the Couch!

What is this thing?  Well, I've got this recipe box, see?  And it's full of recipes I've either never made or made once and not again.  I have got to go through this box.  It's a huge box.  It's a disorganized box.  I need to purge.  And what better way to purge than by making one every night and deciding if it's any good?  And then, of course, dragging a few readers along with me... =) Sometimes I'll post tutorials, but not always.  I didn't create most of these recipes.  Most of them are stolen from the Interwebs or clipped out of magazines.  Some are from family members and friends.  If I've written down the URL, I'll post it.  And I will always post a review and substitutions.  One caveat, I'm vegetarian.  I've got several meat recipes here so I'm going to rely on my husband and kid's reactions to review these.  I've been told I make a mean roast chicken...  So here it is!  This is our Thanksgiving/special guest chicken recipe.  It is from Country Living Magazine.

Apple and Sage Roast Chicken with Pan Juices

1 roasting chicken
3/4 t salt
3 medium apples, cored and quartered
3 small onions
2 celery stalks
2 cloves garlic
2 T fresh sage, chopped
1/4 C butter, softenend
1 T whole-grain mustard
1/8 t cracked white pepper
1 t fresh thyme
1/4 C fruity white wine, such as Riesling
3/4 C fresh apple cider

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Rub the inside of the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Chop 1 apple, 1 onion, and the celery into 2-inch pieces. Toss the apple mixture with the garlic and 1 tablespoon sage, and place it all in the chicken cavity.
  2. Tie the legs together with kitchen twine, and tuck the wings securely under. Mix the butter and mustard to a smooth paste and rub over the chicken skin and sprinkle with the remaining salt and white pepper. Place the bird in a medium roasting pan. Roast in the lower third of the oven for 30 minutes. Brush any remaining mustard-butter over the bird and continue to roast for 1 1/4 more hours.
  3. Baste the chicken with the pan drippings, and sprinkle with remaining sage and the thyme. Scatter the remaining apples and onions around the bird, tossing lightly to coat with the drippings. Add the white wine, and roast the chicken 20 minutes. Baste the bird, and toss the apples and onions again for even browning. Continue to roast until bird juices run clear and the meat between the leg and thigh reaches 160°F. Remove from the oven and transfer the chicken to a serving platter. Arrange the apples and onions around the chicken.
  4. Prepare the jus: Tip the roasting pan so the liquid pools to one end, and use a large spoon to remove any excess fat from the pan juices. Add apple cider and place the pan over medium-high heat. Use a wooden spoon to scrape the bottom of the pan, and then pour the jus over the chicken, apples, and onions. Serve warm.

My substitutions/additions:
I rarely have white pepper.  I sub black.

I never make the jus.  I don't like to try to re-plate.  I just put it on the table and let the guests spoon out what they want.  Haven't had any complaints.

I also add 1T black or yellow whole mustard seed to the butter rub.  It just looks pretty...

We're not big wine drinkers at this house, so I buy the little bottles in the four pack, so I always have some on hand to cook with.

Pinot Grigio is a good sub for Riesling.

When my guests don't want me to cook with wine, I sub apple cider for the wine.

Review:
Everyone I've ever fed this to has loved it including super-foodies and little kids.  It's a keeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...