Thursday, December 2, 2010

Tuscan Tomato Pasta

This is a Morning Star Farms recipe that appears to have come from one of those coupon spitters in the grocery store isle.

Tuscan Tomato Pasta

1/2 C chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T olive oil or vegetable oil
1 C sliced fresh mushrooms
1 can (28 oz) whole tomatoes, cut up
1/2 C shredded carrot
2 T red wine vinegar
1 T dried basil leaves
1 C Morningstar Farms Meal Starters Chik'n Strips
8 oz spaghetti or fettuccine
2 T shaved Parmesan cheese

1) In large saucepan cook onion and garlic in hot oil until tender.  Add mushrooms.  Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until tender.
2) Stir in undrained tomatoes, carrot, vinegar, and basil.  Bring to boil.  Reduce heat.  Simmer, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes or until desired thickness.  Stir in Chik'n Strips.  Cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through.
3) Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions.  Drain.  Toss tomato mixture with pasta.  Sprinkle with cheese.

Yield: 4 servings

My substitutions/additions:
  • Apparently, Morningstar isn't making Chik'n strips any more.  I went to two different stores and couldn't find them, so I substituted two Quorn Naked Chik'n Cutlets.
  • I also added salt and pepper

Review:
Well, aside from the amusing discovery that apparently "chik'n" is the accepted spelling for alterna veggie "chicken," I wasn't crazy about this one.  It's possible the Quorn chik'n doesn't pack the same punch as the Morningstar version, but I found the vinegar off-putting and the recipe pretty boring over-all when weighed against the time it took to make.  DH liked it, but as for me, if I'm going to be chopping a bunch of veggies, it aught to have a little more personality than this.  I don't think I'll make it again.  I'm chucking this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...