Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Mixed Vegetable "Curry"


I took this recipe from a cookbook*.  I own the cookbook.  Don't ask me why I copied it onto a recipe card.  Really, don't ask me... because I don't know.  This is a mediocre curry, but a pretty good low calorie veggie dish.  Just don't go into it thinking it's going to taste like a proper Indian curry.

1 1/2 T ghee or vegetable oil
2 C chopped onions
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 T curry powder
1 t ground cinnamon
1 t ground tumeric
1 t ground ginger
1/2 t ground cumin
3/4 C water
3 C carrot chunks (1-inch pieces)
3 C green beans (2-inch pieces)
2 C cubed potatoes (1-inch pieces)
2 C tomato wedges
1 C peas, fresh or frozen
1/2 t salt, or to taste

1. In a 4 quart sauce pan, heat the ghee or oil over medium heat.  Add the onions and garlic; cook, stirring, until onions are transparent, about 2 minutes.  Stir in curry powder, cinnamon, ginger, turmeric, and cumin until absorbed.  Add water; bring to a boil.
2. Add the carrots, green beans, potatoes, tomato wedges, and peas.  Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes or until vegetables are soft.  Stir in salt.

Variation: Stir in 1 to 2 cups of cubed tofu when the vegetables have finished cooking and cook until heated through.

My substitutions/additions:I used vegetable oil instead of ghee.  I still haven't found an Indian grocery around here, but I also haven't looked so that's all me...
I covered the pan.  Even then, it took longer than 30 minutes.
I served it with rice and yogurt.
Other nice additions would be sweet potatoes, cauliflower, and/or winter squash.

Review: Too much cinnamon.  Just... like, way too much.  It's all you can taste.  Also, it needs more salt, but that's easily remedied.  It is also very low calorie, which is a big plus in our house these days.  The yogurt helps and it will probably taste better on the second day when the spices have had a chance to really soak into everything.  But it's not curry.  I will keep making this tweaker, though I am throwing out this recipe card.  Really.  I have the cookbook.

*1,000 Vegetarian Recipes, by Carol Gelles.  The first vegetarian cookbook I ever owned and still one of my favorite resources.  Her saag paneer is top notch!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...