Monday, September 19, 2011

Quick Tip on Making Mayo

I've been making my own mayonnaise nearly a year now.  I tried it in the food processor, but got mixed results and graduated to the blender, but I hated what a huge mess it made.  A few months ago, my friend Monte showed me a new technique that he apparently learned from an infomercial.  Who says you never learn anything from tv?

My recipe is
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbs white vinegar
1 C vegetable oil

This is the same technique I used to make the aioli for my puka dogs.




(Sorry about the radio in the background... duh...)

I have made it with lemon juice in place of the vinegar, but I like the flavor better and it keeps longer with the vinegar.

Some recipes suggest bringing everything to room temp, but I haven't found that to be necessary for this technique.  Possibly if you were beating this all by hand, you might need to.  This will keep several weeks in the fridge and yields about 1 1 /2 Cups of mayo.

Good luck and happy mayonnaise!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...