Monday, June 25, 2012

Continuation on a Theme...

Continuing last week's theme of breakfast from a muffin tin that's not a muffin, I made these little baked eggs for the boys and myself yesterday:


These are so simple, it hardly counts as a recipe, which I guess makes up for that time hog last week...

Baked Eggs in Toast
4 Slices of bread
4 oz of cheddar cheese, shredded
4 eggs
onions, optional
salt and pepper
butter

Preheat oven to 350.  Put a small pat of butter in each muffin cup. Use a rolling pin to roll bread flat.  Cut a round shape out of each piece of bread using a cup or a cutter with a 3 1/2 inch diameter.  Place each circle in the muffin tin cups on top of the butter.  Add an ounce of cheese to each bread cup.  Crack an egg in each cup and season with salt and pepper.  Add onions on top if you want them.  In the remaining cups of the muffin tin, place the scraps of bread for dipping toasts.  Bake for 15-20 minutes until whites have turned white and are still a little jiggly.  If you don't like runny yolk, bake it to 30 minutes, the yolk will harden to a soft cooked state and will still be very yummy!

Tips:
If you've got a stronger tasting cheese, it would probably be great in this as the cheddar got a little lost.  I didn't happen to have anything on hand, but maybe goat cheese or swiss?

Review:
My boys were a little sketchy about this thing at first.  I had to encourage Mr. 4 that there was cheese underneath the egg before he would even put a fork in it.  They both went back and forth as to whether they liked it or not, but I think the daisy ended up coming out "He loves me."  For my part, I liked it!

10 comments:

  1. Okay seriously, this is the freaking cutest thing ever. EVER!! If I crave eggs anytime soon, I will have to make these. Even if not, I still will and just stare at them and tell everyone passing by to look at it and to tell me how cute they think it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty darn cute, aren't they?! =) But if you start waving your eggs at passersby, you might get a reputation in your new neighborhood... o.O

      Delete
  2. those look so delicious! and they're so cute!! i love anything "mini!" great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiny things are fun. That's why people have babies. For the tiny shoes...

      Delete
  3. That is a beautiful minimalistic photo Brooke! I like your photography a little more every time :)
    This looks like a perfect b breakfast for egg lovers... my daughter might enjoy these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chinmayie! That means so much coming from you! I hope she loves them!

      Delete
  4. I love baked eggs, but making them in little bread bowls is GENIUS! I'm making them with a little spinach in the morning...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spinach is a great idea! Let me know how they turn out!

      Delete
  5. Love it, and what a stunning photo! I haven't made breakfast yet for my boys...thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...