Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Fire Revisited...

When last we met, I had just discovered the joys of outdoor cooking in foil and had made the determination to try cooking on a grate.  That's right.  My new favorite way to cook is the oldest method on the planet.  The fires my husband builds tend to burn fast and hot so I decided fish might be the best option for a first try.  I found a beautiful packet of halibut at the farmer's market.


I brushed it liberally with olive oil, dusted with a little salt and pepper, and put it just off to the side of the highest part of the flames.  It took about 15 minutes or so for the fish to cook to opaque.
 While we waited, we relaxed a little

and had a little water.

 And soon it was ready!  Even the boys liked it!

I made a super quick Caprese salad to go with it.  
Caprese Salad
2 beautiful in-season tomatoes
1 6-8 oz block of fresh mozzarella
3 Tbs olive oil
1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 Tbs diced fresh basil
Salt and pepper to taste

Ordinarily, I make this salad all pretty with slices of tomato alternating with slices of cheese, but since we were eating outside on paper plates, I decided to make it a little easier and just cut everything into bite size pieces.   So, either slice tomatoes and cheese and arrange on a platter in an alternating circle or cut into bite size pieces and chuck 'em into a bowl.  Whisk together oil, vinegar, lemon, and salt and pepper and pour it over the tomatoes and cheese.  Top with basil.  Revel in the deliciousness.  

Review:
I ate my salad with a frozen veggie patty slathered in pickled figs.  Sounds weird.  Wasn't.  :)  Apparently the salad was great with the fish, too!

4 comments:

  1. I love outdoor cooking. This salad looks really good and everything is in season! Your pictures are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra! Tomato season is one of my favorite seasons of the year. Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter, aren't the real seasons in my opinion. It's rhubarb, lettuce, pea, tomato, squash, potato... :)

      Delete
  2. Funny thing, I think we have the same hammock :)
    Fish and salad look so good I'm salivating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great hammock! My husband spends many a happy moment here... :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...