Sunday, July 3, 2011

Happy 4th of July!


OK, so you all know how much I love pancakes.  Those fluffy little love puffs of love... And carbohydrates...  So when I realized I had strawberries and blueberries just begging to be used for something, I decided to make some syrup!   And because those little berries looked so patriotic sitting there sweating out their juices, I decided to name this recipe:

Red, White and Blueberry Syrup

1 pint strawberries
1 pint blueberries
2 tbs white sugar

Slice strawberries.  Coat berries in sugar, and let sit until juices release (30 + minutes; I did this while I was mixing up my pancakes).  Boil slowly for 10-15 minutes until syrup forms.  To really guild the lily, add more sugar while cooking, or afterward, add some maple syrup, but remember the only difference between this syrup and jam is a little more sugar and a little more boiling!


 Ready...

 Set...

Gooooo!

I edited my basic pancake recipe for these, too:
add 1/4 oatmeal
1/2 C dried blueberries (mine were from Trader Joe's)
1/2 C chopped hazelnuts
1/4-1/2 tsp lemon zest

Yield: about 15 ice cream scoops


Happy 4th of July, everyone!   We're supposed to have fabulous weather tomorrow.  I hope it comes because we're having a party!  If the weather god (Fierce Rainenstein), and the camera god (Clicky Magoo), and the cooking god (Haggis McMutton) all happen to be smiling on me tomorrow, I hope to have a bunch of new recipes to share next week!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...