Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Accidentally Vegan Banana-Nut Muffins


When we travel, we're usually leaving in the middle of the night or first thing in the morning.  No matter what, nerves and time constraints usually make it difficult for us (OK, for me) to eat a solid meal before we get to the airport.  Besides having a nosh, I love this recipe for cleaning out my fridge.  There's always a bit of fruit or an errant veggie or two hanging around in my fridge plotting to go bad while we're on vacation.  It's super easy to grate a zucchini, a couple of carrots, an apple, a half eaten salmon (you know, whatever you have lying around) into this thing.  I picked this specific recipe because when I found it online I only had a couple of bananas handy.  Most of the online recipes called for 3 or 4, but this one only needed two.  I have added up to 5 bananas to it and it has only served to make it more moist and yummy, but it's really handy for when I've only got a couple that are going the way of the dodo.

I'm not going to lie.  I made this recipe months ago.  It's been languishing in my "to post folder" forever while I busied myself concocting various and sundry recipes using garlic scapes and Chinese Okra.  It's time these humble, yet satisfying muffins made an appearance!  Since I was using these as a "clean out the fridge dump special," I had assumed some items I normally have yet, when I opened the fridge door not only did I not have any eggs, I was out of milk, too!  Fortunately, I had bought some almond milk that week for my son who has cow milk issues.  (I usually buy him goat milk, which would have been fine, but no quite so appetizing.)  I added an extra banana to sub for the egg.  Here is the original recipe, followed by what I did.

Really Easy Banana Nut Bread
2 Bananas
1 Egg, beaten
1 C Sugar
1/4 C Melted butter or margarine
1 1/2 C Flour
1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
(Optional) walnuts or chocolate chips
Mash bananas.  Add beaten egg, sugar, and melted butter.  Stir in dry ingredients until moist.  Place in greased and floured loaf pan.  Bake at 350° for 1 hour.  Slice and serve warm.  (To double, decrease a little sugar.)


Accidentally Vegan Banana-Nut Muffins:
3 Bananas
1 C Sucanat
1/4 C Vegetable oil
1 1/2 C Whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
1/4 C Pecans
1 T Almond milk
1/2 C Oatmeal
1/2 Half apple peeled, chopped or grated
Dash cinnamon

Mix and bake following the original directions.  To make muffins, divide the batter into a lined cupcake tin and reduce cooking time to about 15-20 minutes (another reason I love muffins for travel, they cook so quickly!)  Yields about a dozen.


Review:
Could have used another banana for moisture maybe, but pretty great over all.  All my boys loved them and we had a great vacation.  I'm sure it's because we got a good, yummy start!

12 comments:

  1. I cannot wait to make these!!! Man, I need to threaten you to post more often. This may just work in my favor... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A happy coincidence my friend, though I am beginning to think of maybe someday posting more than once a week... Possibly...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post. I am a closet banana bread fiend. I don't know how I'll satisfy the craving if we ever really run out of bananas. I love that you have a vegan recipe for these muffins, can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you liked the post, Debra! (Hey, is there room in your banana bread closet for me? I'll bring almond milk...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am making this ASAP! This is completely my style muffins :) They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They're great Chinmayie, and the more bananas the better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You BETTER consider posting more often!!! I'm serious. There are a lot of food blogs out there that are *meh* but yours is awesome, Brooke! Beautiful pictures, great-looking food, and humor all rolled into one. Don't make me come up there and smack you silly :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Cara, the main thing is time. Between homeschooling, raising, feeding, refereeing, and cleaning up after these monkeys, there's not enough hours in a day. I've had to come to the painful conclusion that I am no Ree Drummand. Nor am I Martha Stewart. Though if someone sold a magic potion that turned me into a combination of the two, I'd be all over it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your vegan option here! I prefer almond milk myself and substitute it often. Glad to hear you enjoyed your vacation! And your photos are lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sucanat is a type of sugar that is very minimally processed. It's basically pure sugarcane. There is no bleaching or polishing process. You can find it in most grocery stores, usually in the organic section. Some stores like Whole Foods may even have it in the bulk section. You can find out more on Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucanat

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...