Friday, November 15, 2013

It's Sneaking Up on Me, I Can Feel it...

It's about to pounce...  That time of year when all heck breaks loose around here.  After Halloween begins the long downhill slide of merriment until the New Year arrives.  We've got two birthday parties to attend, one to throw, two more small home birthday celebrations to deal with, Thanksgiving, 12 Days of Christmas Cookies, 25 days of Advent, Christmas, and the arrival of our dear friends for a week-long visit all between now and next year.  Plus there's supposed to be school, martial arts, piano lessons, and swim lessons in there somehow.  And all you guys out there probably have similar schedules!  It's just that time of year.  It's the most wonderful time of the year.  It's going to kill me.  And I wouldn't change a minute of it if you paid me.

One thing I'm doing different this year for Thanksgiving is that we're actually going to have real live guests here with us for dinner finally.  Since my husband and I got married, we have always had people over for Thanksgiving.  Every year a revolving list of friends has feasted with us depending on what family plans people had.  One year we had one person.  Our largest gathering was 10.  When we moved to Washington though, we just never found anyone who could join us.  Everybody had family here and plans.  But this year I ordered a turkey.  And not just any turkey.  One of these turkeys:

Photo Courtesy: R Heritage Farm

That's right, folks.  One of these beautiful animals is ours.  My friends Monique and Ben at R Heritage Farm are selling heritage, GMO-free, pastured turkeys.  (I hear there may even be a few left if anyone's interested.)  Note how colorful they are.  How they are roaming around completely cage-free on green stuff I understand some people call "grass."  They may occasionally (try not to faint, y'all) eat a bug.  If I'm going to cook an animal, this is how I want it to be raised.  Pay attention, farmers.  If one of these gorgeous, grumpy gobblers is going to give his life to feed my family, I wanted to make darn sure none of him was wasted so I put the word out on facebook and lo and behold we had a friend in town!  I am so excited to be having guests again I can hardly contain myself.

I am going to cook the bird low and slow just like the good old days and I will probably trot out lots of traditional (yet vegetarian) sides to go with it.  I'll post a picture of the bird once it's done if I can get one before the horde descends.  To inspire you a little, here are some recipes I've made in the last few years.

Mains:

Apple and Sage Roast Chicken
Simple Roast Chicken
Sides:

Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic Vinegar
Roast Fennel
Roast Vegetables with Quince
Vegetarian Mushroom Gravy
Pears
Five-Minute Cranberry Sauce
Pears with Ricotta Cheese and Chestnuts
Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup

Breads:

Whole Wheat Bread

Pumpkin and Sage Cornbread


Pumpkin and Sage Cornbread Dressing
Simple Cornbread Dressing
Desserts:

Pumpkin Not-Pie Dessert
No-Bake Cheesecake with Soft Orange Cookie Crust
Rhubarb Kumquat Crisp with Goat Cheese
Pumpkin Mousse

Hopefully, I'll get a few new ones posted soon!

2 comments:

  1. We don't celebrate Thanksgiving here in New Zealand, but if we did I can see I would find plenty of inspiration here to feed the hoards. Love the look of those free-range heritage turkeys - that's definitely the kind of bird I would want to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? We, in America, have an antiquated, guilded idea of what farming is and what it looks like. We think it looks like that picture. But it doesn't any more in a majority of farms. I try to support the "old ways" as much as I can in the hopes that it will catch on again.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...