Tuesday, December 10, 2013

12 Days of Christmas Treats Day 7: Russian Tea


     Russia has a very rich tea culture.  According to Wikipedia, nearly 82% of Russians drink tea daily.  They drink tea from fancy teapots, they have intricate brewing methods, they use really cool special tea cups.  But they don't drink Russian Tea.  Just like fortune cookies, garlic bread, and tortilla chips, Russian tea is an American invention.  A delicious one.  A lot of the recipes you'll find online include Tang and lemonade mix.  Uh.  Gross much?  Growing up we made it with black tea and orange juice.  We drank it at Christmastime.  I liked it so much, I made a cookie out of it a couple of years ago.  There are a lot of recipes online that make party size portions, but I often like to make one for myself in the morning, so here is an individual serving portion.


Russian Tea
Serves One

1 C brewed black tea
3 Tbs orange juice
2 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon

Brew a cup of tea, add juice, sugar, cloves and cinnamon.  Stir and enjoy warm or cold.


Review:
My boys aren't big fans.  They prefer their tea to include milk and chocolate and exclude tea, but I love this and I expect other sweet tea fans will, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...