Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Parmesean Pasta


Tonight I had to finish the Thanksgiving chicken or it was going to start walking around again...  Or you know, oozing around and eating stuff off the floor.  Granted, I have always wanted a pet that would vacuum stuff off my floors, but the frugal Mom in me got the upper hand.  So I went scrounging in the box.  This one appears to have come in some sort of mailer or something.  It's from Kraft, so it recommends all Kraft products.  And also, it's really old, so there's no telling if some of the products it recommends even still exist...  So there's a disclaimer for ya.

Parmesan Pasta
Prep: 5 minutes  Cook: 10 minutes  Servings: 4

8 oz. pasta, uncooked
1 pkg (16 oz) frozen broccoli flowerets [sic] or 3 C fresh broccoli flowerets [sic]
1 clove garlic, minced or 1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 pkg. (6 oz) Louis Rich grilled chicken breast strips
1/4 C (1/2 stick) butter, margarine or olive oil
3/4 C Kraft 100% grated Parmesan cheese

1. Prepare pasta as directed on package in large sauce pot, adding vegetables to pasta cooking water during last 5 minutes of cooking time; drain.

2. Cook and stir garlic and chicken breast strips in butter in same sauce pot on medium heat 1-2 minutes or until garlic is tended but not brown and chicken is thoroughly heated.

3. Add pasta and vegetables; toss lightly.  Sprinkle with cheese; toss to coat.  Serve immediately.

Try serving with quick bagged salad tossed with your favorite Kraft dressing, such as House Italian.

Tip! Great Substitute: Substitute 1-1/2 to 2 C chopped cooked ham, turkey or chicken for chicken breast strips.  A great way to use leftovers!

My substitutions/additions:
  • Obviously, I didn't use the breast strips.  I also didn't use the Kraft cheese (Sorry Kraft.  I didn't have any and I prefer freshly grated parm to canned...).
  • I did not use anywhere near 1/4 C olive oil.  Maybe a tablespoon.  
  • I made one skillet for the boys with the chicken and garlic, and a separate one for myself with tofu and garlic.
  • Also, I think this recipe is worded awkwardly.  Don't cook the chicken and garlic in the same pot as the pasta.  Use a different pot.  It's easy enough to figure out I guess, it just reads a little clunky and it makes the English major in me want to fix it... I know, I know, my neurosis is showing...
Review:
They're right!  This is a great way to use up leftovers.  The overall consensus was favorable.  Not something to write home about, but a good, solid mid-week meal that doesn't take too long to make and keeps the refrigerator beasts at bay.  It's a keeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...