Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Homemade Vegetable Soup


Not sure where this one came from, but I suspect I made it up from a bunch of stuff I had sitting in the fridge.

2 or 3 small tomatoes chopped (peeled)
1/4 C chopped onion
olive oil
2 cloves garlic
2 carrots
2 stalks celery
1 lb potatoes peeled, chopped
+/-2 tsp bullion
2-3 C cooked pasta
2 large button mushrooms, sliced
basil, oregano, parsley, opt
salt and pepper to taste

In a frying pan sautee onions and tomatoes in olive oil until juices release and it begins to boil.  Add garlic cloves.  Boil till garlic has softened.  Blend with immersion blender.  Remove from heat.  Add mushrooms, salt and pepper to taste and spices if desired.  In a separate pot of water, boil carrots, celery, and potatoes until potatoes soften.  Add bullion to boiling water.  Add tomato puree.  Boil for about 10-20 minutes.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Add cooked pasta till heated.  Serve with cottage cheese or sour cream.


My substitutions/additions:
  • I forgot to peel the tomatoes, but it was just fine anyway.  I also didn't peel the potatoes.
  • I used Better than Bullion Organic Mushroom Base instead of bullion.
  • The pasta I used was uncooked, so I added it about 15 minutes before my hubby got home.  It soaked up all the fluid and made it less like soup and more like stew.  I used 1 C of uncooked whole wheat macaroni.
  • I also added 1/4 C red wine when I mixed the tomatoes in with the rest of the veggies.
Review:
Served this with sour cream tonight.  It was fantastic!  It yielded about 6 cups.  Total comfort food all the way! Keeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...