Wednesday, May 11, 2011

That's the Way the Cookie Crumbles...



When I dug this recipe out of the box I was so excited.  No cane sugar, lots of fiber, relatively low calories... It came off a box of Back to Nature Oat Bran Flakes cereal many years ago.  I don't know how to begin to tell you how I messed these up.  So many ways, really. 
  • First off, I couldn't be bothered to find the actual measuring spoons so I guesstimated using silverware even though I knew better.  Bad.
  • Apparently "Back to Nature" used to be a generic brand at some store I shopped at in CA and is either no longer in existence or at least not in WA so I subbed Nature's Path Flax Plus Multibran flakes.  I don't know how different the two are.  Bad?
  • I used 1/2 C raisins instead of choosing the optional full cup of dates.  Bad. 
  • I used the wrong kind of dates.  I used the chopped and floured dates, but should have used the kid of dates you have to pit.  Bad. 
The end result was bad cookies that were also yucky and not very good.

Back to Nature Date-Oat Bran Cookies
1 C Back to Nature Oat Bran Flakes
1/2 C dates
1/2 C raisins (may use only dates if desired)
2 egg whites, unbeaten
4 egg whites, beaten
2 T honey
1 t vanilla
1 t cinnamon
1/2 C whole wheat flour
1/2 t baking powder

Directions:
     Chop Oat Bran flakes in a blender or food processor.  Blend in dates and 2 egg whites until dates are well mashed.  Place date mixture in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
     Beat 4 egg whites in an electric mixer until foamy.  Gradually beat in honey and vanilla and continue beating until whites are thick and shiny.  Mix together cinnamon, flour, and baking powder.  Reduce speed and lightly fold dry ingredients into whites.  Stir 1/2 of the egg white mixture into the date mixture, then carefully fold in the remaining egg white mixture.  Drop by spoonfuls onto two non-stick cookie sheets and bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately 20 minutes or until light brown. 
     Makes 30-36 cookies.

My substitutions/additions:
Aside from all the subsitutions I made that may or may not have led to this recipe's ultimate demise, I used one whole egg instead of the two egg whites.  I hate to waste eggs.  If that was wrong, it was the least of this recipe's problems. 



Review:
They turned out more like bread instead of cookies, all you could taste was cereal and raisins.  They also didn't make nearly 36.  I got about 27.  They don't take anywhere near 20 minutes to bake either, so I burned the bottoms on the first batch.  Also, this recipe doesn't say anything about greasing the pans.  Dear friends, please grease your pans.  Even though these were a spectacular fail, I am going to try them again.  Do things properly before I totally chuck it.  They also need maybe oatmeal or nuts to give them a little more texture.  That said, the boys love them.  I think they're hard up for cookies in this house.  But at least they've not gone to waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...