Wednesday, December 14, 2011

12 Days of Christmas Cookies: Day 10


     Yet another cookie from the early days of my marriage.  I don't really know what possessed me to buy a persimmon.  If I found this recipe first, or if I bought one and didn't know what to do with it, but this is the only thing I've ever done with a persimmon and probably the only thing I ever will do with one.  I found the recipe on the net.

      If you get your hands on an unripe persimmon, it may be the most wrongest (that's an expression, right?) food encounter you will ever have.  They are so sour they will suck the enamel right off your teeth.  Persimmons need to be almost melting before they're ripe.  They are very sweet and juicy then, but still leave a weird dry aftertaste.  These cookies can be made with ripe or unripe persimmons as I have made it many times in the past and only ever used ripe ones this year by virtue of the fact that they sat on my counter long enough to actually ripen...  The secret is combining the persimmon and baking soda first before incorporating the persimmon into the dough.  The baking soda neutralizes the "wrongness..."  That's the official scientific explanation, anyway.

     At any rate, these cookies are cakey and moist and nobody will ever guess there's a sour ol' persimmon in there!

Persimmon Cookies
1 C sugar
1/2 C margarine
1/2 C brown sugar
2 C flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 C persimmon pulp
1 egg beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1 C raisins or dates (I used dates)
1 C nuts
Cream butter and sugars.  Add other ingredients.  Drop cookies by spoonful on greased or foil-lined cookie sheet.   Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes. 
Makes 8 dozen

Review:
Yet another cookie that makes a ton and is worth the effort!  Cara at Fork and Beans is still plugging along over there with her gluten free and vegan cookies!  Go and check this one out!

7 comments:

  1. You failed to mention to me about the baking soda and persimmon trick... grrrr! haha. But it really ended up okay anyway, despite the fact that mine look NOTHING like yours. But they are still really good and I ate way too many of them yesterday. What are your thoughts on a "Bake a cookie every day for a year" challenge??? I'm thinking I'm onto something here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a horrible person... I'm glad they turned out anyway! I think yours look better than mine, actually... As far as baking a batch of cookies every day for a year, I think my kids would be alllll over that. Care to have two small house guests for the next year?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't cooked with persimmons before out of fear of using an unripe one. Great tip about combining with the baking soda - I may have to go pick up some persimmons!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hannah, these are fantastic. You won't be disappointed! Just don't taste the persimmon until the cookies come out of the oven! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. No! Yours are better than mine!!!!
    And yes, let's be neighbors :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never tried Persimmons before but I don't see why will not like these cookies ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Cara, I was thinking more of a "Homeschool Boarding School" type situation... =)

    @Chinmayie, You will love these cookies! Let me know if you give them a go!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...