Wednesday, December 11, 2013

12 Days of Christmas Treats Day 8: Dipped Ritz Cracker Sandwiches

    The first time I had Ritz peanut butter crackers dipped in white chocolate I was at the Christmas tree farm of an old friend of my family.  When she told me about them, I was skeptical.  Until I ate one.  Hello.  The problem with white chocolate though, is it's hard to find one that doesn't have all kinds of chemicals in it.  So I decided to try dark chocolate this year.  


     Instead of using just my family as lab rats, I subjected three unsuspecting food bloggers as well.  This year I joined The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap for the first time.  Besides providing a link-up to all kinds of great bloggers, it raises money to fight children's cancer.  This year they've raised over $13,000!  It's not too late to donate!  Go to The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap webpage find the donation button at the bottom. 

The Great Food Blogger Cookies Swap 2013

     The swap works is just like a regular mail swap: you get three names, three other people get your name, you send out three dozen cookies, and you receive three dozen in return.  The only difference here is that we link to each other's websites and share the recipe with you guys, too!
 
These tree bloggers sent me cookies:

The boy's favorites were all of them.  "Oh Mom!  These are my favorite!"  "You just said that about the other ones." "I know, it is, too!"  "I agree."

I sent these treats to these three bloggers: 

I hope they arrived in one piece, ladies!


And now it's time to share my recipe with you!  Start with the Ritz Crackers from  day one of the 12 Days of Christmas.

Ritzy Peanut Butter Crackers in Chocolate
(1 Recipe of Crackers yields about 24 sandwiches)
6 oz Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
10 oz Felchlin Old World Chocolate 74% Organic
Zest of 1 tangerine

Make cracker sandwiches using about ¼ tsp peanut butter per sandwich. (I like a lot on mine generally, but much more than ¼ tsp tends to seep out the sides and melt into the chocolate.)

     In a double-boiler, melt 6 oz of semi-sweet chocolate chips with 10oz dark chocolate, making sure not to scrape the sides (this can introduce crystals into the chocolate that will make it seize). You can also do it in the microwave in a glass dish by setting it to half power and microwaving them for about a minute (chocolate is done when about half the chips have melted, stir them up and use the heat of the melted ones to soften the ones that aren't quite ready.)

     Dip sandwiches in chocolate using a couple of forks to aid in flipping, removing, and not burning your fingers off, place on parchment paper, and top with orange zest. Leave to dry.


Notes:
If you do make these with white chocolate instead, try topping them with crushed up candy canes!

Review:
The chocolate chips take some of the bitterness out of the dark chocolate and the orange brightens it up.  My kids prefer it without the zest, but the more adult palates in our household enjoyed them immensely.  

To see the rest of the round-up visit Love and Olive Oil for one half and The Little Kitchen for the rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...