Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ground Beef Stroganoff


This looks like something I gleaned from the Internet by checking several sites for the same recipe and picking the best of all the recipes (a.k.a. the ingredients I had in the fridge).  Therefore, all I had were the ingredients and none of the directions...  For myself, I cooked the mushrooms and onions and crumbled a veggie patty in there...

Beef Stroganoff
1 Tbs butter
4-5 medium mushrooms, sliced
1/4 of a medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic
beef
1 C bullion
1 tsp flour
1/4 C sour cream
salt and pepper

This is how I cooked it:
For starters, I used a box of mushrooms instead of just 4 or 5.  I sauteed the mushrooms, onions, and garlic in the butter.  At this point, I separated a portion for myself and added a veggie burger.  To the rest, I added 1 lb ground beef.  Once the beef was mostly done, I added the bullion.  (I used vegetable stock.)  Then, I stirred in the flour and cooked it till the gravy thickened.  I added salt and pepper to taste.  Just before serving, I stirred in the sour cream.  It went beautifully with whole wheat egg noodles.

Review:
Hubby was very pleased.  I asked him if I could have added anything and he said no.  So I'm taking his word for it.  Boy 1 said, "I like the beef!" (mostly because we told him he couldn't have a push-up pop if he didn't eat his dinner).  Boy 2 ate one noodle.  Mine was entirely edible.   It's a keeper!

(PS, some people say you can't have a proper stroganoff without tomato paste.  I don't know, I've never tried it, but there you go.  Add a spoonful and see what you think!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...