Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Chickpea Pocket


This Internet find has been inhabiting the box for a few years now.  I think I may have made it once before.  I'm just going to put this out there:  I don't like cilantro.  In fact you could say that I burn with hatred for cilantro with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns.  I can taste it even if somebody has just waved it over the plate.  I did not put the cilantro in this recipe.  If you decide to do it, I don't want to know about how awesome it was because I will know that you are lying

But, there was some dill in the salad mix I used and that was nice.

Chickpea Pocket

1 15 oz can chickpeas
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 onion, roughly chopped
8-10 black olives, sliced
2 T red wine vinegar
1 tsp cumin powder
2 C shredded lettuce
1 T cilantro
Salt and pepper to taste
6 small slices of pita bread

Combine ingredients.  Mix well.  Cut pita pockets.  Line pockets with lettuce.  Spoon in filling.

My substitutions/additions:
  • I made my own chickpeas in the pressure cooker using this time table.
  • Chicken might be good in this.
  • Instead of shredded lettuce, I used a spring mix salad with herbs.

Review: 

The flavor got a little lost in the pocket but it's very nice as a salad.  Perhaps yogurt or garlic would kick it up a little.   It needs some tweaking, but it's edible and low calorie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...