Friday, April 29, 2011

Who likes cake? Do you like cake? 'Cuz I like cake...


     Growing up, I wasn't one of those smiling daughters who dutifully studied her Mother's techniques in the kitchen.  I was was the kind of daughter who did only what she had to in the kitchen (a.k.a. the dishes) and spent the rest of the time reading Stephen King books in her bedroom.  I just wasn't interested.  I wish I'd been more studious then.  Instead of learning every thing from the Food Network in college, I could have learned everything from Mom (at least past the few basics she was able to squeeze in between Christine and The Stand).
     Mom used to make this cake all the time growing up.  She made it for bake sales and as gifts at Christmas.   It's also my wedding cake.   This is a very special cake.  This is my Mom's recipe.  As I recall, she made it up.  She was always very proud of this cake and with good reason.  It's fantastic!  It also comes together fairly quickly.  I'm posting this today in honor of her birthday.  Happy Birthday, Mom!  I wish I could share this with you...

Grammie's Fresh Apple Cake
3 eggs
3 C fresh apples
3 t vanilla
1 c oil
2 c sugar
1 C chopped pecans (opt)
3 C flour
1 t salt
3 t cinnamon
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1 t allspice
1/2 t nutmeg

Add sugar to oil and mix until sugar dissolves a bit.  Beat eggs til light and fluffy.  Add eggs, apples, vanilla, and nuts to the oil/sugar mixture.  Mix dry ingredients together and slowly add to egg/sugar mixture.  Mix very well.  Bake in a greased and floured tube pan or 2 loaf pans for about 1 hour at 325.
var: 1 C sugar + 1 C brown sugar omit allspice and add cloves.



My substitutions/additions:
I used mostly Sucanat this time.  It was pretty dry.  I'm not sure if it was the Sucanat or if I over-baked it a tad.  Anyhoo, more to soak up the ice cream with, right?

Tips:
Using all white sugar will yield a cake slightly lighter in color.  It can also take up to an hour and a half to bake this in a bundt pan.



Review:
I liked this recipe so much apparently, that I had three copies of it in my recipe box... This is a great cake by a great woman.  She actually did show me how to make this and it's a wonderful thing to bake it and think of her.  Of course it's a keeper.

2 comments:

  1. looks scrumptious!!! Your writing is so entertaining. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tiffany! It's funny because it's true... =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...