Friday, December 14, 2012

12 Days of Christmas Treats:Pfeffernüsse

This recipe came from Mom's old Better Homes and Garden's Cookbook.  It's so old that the copyright page is missing, but I suspect 60's era.

 
Pfeffernüsse is a German cookie whose name means "pepper nuts."  They are rock hard and actually contain pepper, though there are many recipes out there.  Mom's other oldie but goodie book The Joy of Cooking has a recipe with citron in it and no pepper.  I think I'm going to try that one next year!  But for this year, I'm going with the recipe Mom used to make.

Pfeffernüsse
In a saucepan, combine 3/4 C light molasses and 1/2 C butter.  Cook and stir till butter melts.  Cool to room temp.  Stir in 2 beaten eggs.  Sift 4 1/4 C sifted all-purpose flour, 1/2 C sugar, 1 1/4  tsp baking soda, 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp cloves, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, and a dash of pepper.  Add to molasses mixture.  Mix well, chill several hours.  Shape chilled dough into 1 inch. balls. Bake on a greased cookie sheet in a moderate oven (375°) for 12 minutes.  Cool, roll in confectioner's sugar.  Makes 4 1/2 dozen. (59 cookie scoop size)

Review:
Your kids will not go nuts over these.  You might not either.  But I like them.  So there.

3 comments:

  1. Love these cookies! I forgot all about them too, I had them when we lived in Switzerland, they have them in all the stores, very popular. I love the pepper I think mom got it right :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still pretty curious about the citron one, though. I don't think it will really be "pfeffernüsse" but they sound delicious! Next year... =)

      Delete
  2. I love these cookies! I make a version of these without the pepper every Christmas ;0

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...