Thursday, December 15, 2011

12 Days of Christmas Cookies: Day 11

I can't believe we're nearly done!


     When I was trying to develop some cookies for this series, one  of the most "traditionally Christmas" things I could think of was mincemeat.  I've never eaten it the traditional traditional way (with actual meat) but Mom always used to make a homemade version using raisins and apples and spices.  We haven't been able to locate her recipe so I tried to wing it with these.  These are super awesome delicious cookies.  They don't taste exactly like mincemeat since I couldn't scratch up any currants and, well, you know how I feel about raisins.  I used golden raisins in this.

Almost Mincemeat Cookies
1 C butter
1 C Sucanat
1/8 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 egg
1 C wheat flour
1 C white flour
1/2 C apple, peeled and diced
1 Tbs orange zest
1/4 C chopped golden raisins
1 C walnuts

Cream butter and Sucanat.  Mix in egg until well blended.  Add spices and flour.  Add zest, raisins, apples and walnuts and stir till just blended.  Spoon onto a cookie sheet and press lightly.  (I used a cookie scoop.) Bake at 325° for 10 minutes.

If you can come up with some currants, throw in a handful, the more the merrier!


Review:
These are great!  They are my favorite cookie from the ol' EMUOoMHCIP.  Healthier than the rest of the cookies in this series because of the whole wheat and the Sucanat and more in line with how I like to eat on a regular day.  Go on over to Fork and Beans and see what Cara thought of these!

7 comments:

  1. *head hung low* Your favorite??? So I really botched these guys up! I am going to tackle them again this weekend. I cannot stand the fact that they are a failure up on my page. Must. Try. Again. Yours looks amazingly delicious and I am going to have to come up with a new plan for the whole wheat (I think part of what I did make them flop).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a thought... Have you ever tried any nut flours? I've used hazelnut flour successfully, and my buddy Matt (from Wrightfood) swears by them. Maybe a mixture of gf all pupose flour and a nut flour would give it a little texture and some of the "nuttiness" that whole wheat flour gives... Was the consistency just really awful?

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I can't believe you are done with your 12 cookies :)You have done a great job Brooke. I love the way these cookies sound so heading over for the vegan version of this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm about to make these delicious looking cookies, is there supposed to be any baking powder/baking soda in them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meredith, I double checked my original recipe and I didn't write down any baking powder or soda. Did you make them? How did they turn out?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just finished making them, I added 1 1/2 tsp baking powder just because I was nervous they wouldn't turn out right and used dates instead of raisins. They are AWESOME!! Thanks so much for the recipe, I'll be trying the persimmon ones tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Meredith! Glad you liked them! The persimmon ones are great, too! =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...