Tuesday, December 13, 2011

12 Days of Christmas Cookies: Day 9


     Let's talk about eggnog shall we?  First of all, my three year old calls it "Ed Nok" and that's just too cute.  Second of all, I love it.  Anybody who says otherwise is just wrong.  Thirdly, I've never had any with alcohol in it.  Not that that has anything to do with this post, I just haven't.  As an Ode to Eggnog, Christmas drink of the gods, I thought I'd make a cookie.  This is another of my EMUOoMHCIP experiments.  And it turns out, the dough was perfect for a cookie press!


Eggnog Cookie Press Cookies

1/2 C butter
1 C sugar
1/2 C eggnog
2 C flour
1 Tbs sugar
1/8 tsp nutmeg
cinnamon chips (optional)

Cream butter and sugar.  Add eggnog and mix till well blended.  Mix in flour until well blended.  Put in the cookie press and squish out whatever shape you want.  Combine sugar and nutmeg and finely dust over pressed cookies.  Bake at 325° for about 12 minutes.  I put cinnamon chips on some of the flour shaped cookies, but they are unnecessary.

Notes:
  • Once the cookie sheets are hot, it will be hard to get the cookies to release from the press.  You have to wait for the sheets to cool completely before you can use the press again.
  •  I used eggnog from a local dairy (Twin Brook Creamery) so I know there's no high fructose corn syrup or other junk in it.  If you buy another brand, your results may be different just judging by the "extra ingredients."  If you wanted to get serious about it, you could even make your own eggnog!
Review:
I always like the idea of cookie press cookies, but never really like the outcome of cookie press cookies.  These actually taste much better than standard cookie press dough.  The cookies are softer, though the texture is a little weird.  Maybe they need more butter.  Everything is better with more butter.  Me and Paula Deen are simpatico on this...  Anyway, they're pretty and my boys like them and they're fun to squoosh. 

Cara at Fork and Beans made some darling little snowmen with her gluten free and vegan version of this recipe, go look!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...