Friday, December 16, 2011

12 Days of Christmas Cookies: Day 12


     And so, as we draw to a close, what other cookie is more "Christmas" than a decorated sugar cookie?   These are the cookies we always left for Santa.  This is another recipe my Mom gave me out of one of her cookbooks and let me tell you, Martha Stewart ain't got nothin' on this cookie.  I used her recipe once when I thought she was infallible.  Alas, she is.


Grammie's Sugar Cookies
2/3 C shortening (10 T margarine or butter.  I use butter.)
3/4 C sugar
1/2 tsp grated orange peel (squirt of lemon juice)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg
4 tsp milk
2 C sifted flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Thoroughly cream shortening, sugar, peel and vanilla.  Add egg; beat till light and fluffy.  Stir in milk.  Sift together dry ingredients; blend in creamed mixture.  Divide dough in half and chill 1 hour.

On lightly floured surface, roll 1/8 inch thick.  Cut into desired shapes.  Bake on greased cookie sheet at 375° for 6-8 minutes.  Cool slightly on pan.  Remove to rack to finish cooling.  Decorate.

Yield 2 dozen

Icing:
Well, folks.  I'd like to tell you that there is a super secret recipe that I use for making icing.  There isn't.  It's confectioner's sugar and milk.  A little food coloring.  It uses a GOB of sugar.  I'd say start with 2-4 cups of sugar, add milk 1 Tbs at a time until it's slightly thicker than you want it to be, then divide it out in cups (as many as the colors you want to make) then add food coloring until it's the color you want.  If it's too thick add a little more milk.  If it's too thin, use more sugar.  For a hardcore tutorial on how to ice beautiful cookies, check out Sweet Sugar Belle!  I wish I'd found this before I made these!  I actually frosted all these with a butter knife...  I'm so démodé it's gauche!


Review:
My boys love making and decorating these just like I did when I was a kid.  They have the perfect flavor and texture.  I heard Santa is especially keen on these when they've got sprinkles...  Just a heads up...

Thank you for following this cookie series and a super duper huge THANK YOU to Cara at Fork and Beans for going along with my crazy scheme!  I think some awesome cookies came out of this!  If you haven't been visiting Cara's site because you aren't vegan or gluten free, I encourage you to visit anyway.  She's funny, her food is cute, and goshdarnit she's just a swell gal!

Merry (almost) Christmas Everybody!!

4 comments:

  1. I had a late start this morning but my post is finally up! haha--You should have seen me running around at 6:30am this morning, cursing at the sun for not popping up soon enough! Aaaaaaahhhh, I'm so sad that it's over :( Seriously! It's been so much fun, my friend. Your cookies look incredible (not to mention taste good, holy moly! These are probably the best sugar cookies I've tried!)--and I *love* the letter to Santa in the background. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sooo glad these turned out for you, Cara! Your little trees are uber cute! It has been fun, let's do it again sometime!! My eldest wrote the Santa note. He's getting so big! *sniff!*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone of those recipes so far in your 12 day series is a keeper! I'm definitely going to bookmark them. Merry xmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting, Keerthana! Glad you like the recipes! You won't be disappointed! =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...