Thursday, December 1, 2011

New Series! The Twelve Days of Christmas Cookies!!

     I am so excited to introduce you guys to Cara Reed from forkandbeans.  She's vegan and gluten free and she might be the most fun blogger on the planet.  Just sayin'.  She has agreed to help me with a little project I dreamed up for all you gluten free readers out there...  As you all know, it's December and as you all also know, Christmas is coming up in just a few days.  I thought it would be fun to do 12 Days of Christmas Cookies, but I felt sorry for all you guys.  I've got several friends who eat gluten free either because of celiac disease or for other health reasons.  So I asked Cara if she'd be willing to convert my recipes!  Every day til December 16, I'll be sharing a new cookie with you and Cara will post her gluten free version! 


     This first one is sort of a cookie in shape only, but it's one I've loved since childhood.  As a kid they were called "Peanut Butter Delights."  In college a friend said she called them "Preacher's Cookies."  The recipe I found online called them "No Bake Peanut Butter Cookies."  I've seen lots of versions of the name usually involving some sort of animal poo reference (Really?  Why would I want to eat something called a "Cow Flop?"  I grew up with cows.  Believe me.  You don't want to eat that...)  Anyways, whatever you call them, they are wonderful.

No Bake Peanut Butter Cookies
2 C sugar
1/4 C unsweetened cocoa powder (or 1 handful of semi-sweet chocolate chips)
1/2 C milk
1/2 C margarine
1 tsp vanilla
pinch salt
1/2 C chunky peanut butter
3 C quick cook oats

In a saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar, cocoa, milk, and margarine.  Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.  Boil for 1 minute.  Then, remove from heat and stir in remaining ingredients.  Drop by rounded spoonful onto waxed paper.  Allow cookies to cool at least 1 hour.  Store in an airtight container.

Review:
If you've ever had these, you know how good they are.  If you haven't, they are delightful!  And so easy to make, you probably have everything you need to make them right now.  Go and do it!!

But first, Check Out Cara's Vegan & Gluten Free Version!

6 comments:

  1. I wanna change the name officially to Cow Flops! Haha. That one is the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not if you ever stepped in one, my friend...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eeeeewww! I change my mind. But if Cow Flops taste like these delicious beauties, I might be open to not only stepping in a few piles, but also licking my shoes clean :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this series - what a great idea! Look forward to seeing all of your cookies.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...