Tuesday, December 6, 2011

12 Days of Christmas Cookies: Day 4


Let me tell you something.  You haven't lived until you've eaten these.  They are a gigantic pain in the Jingle Bells to make, but they are so very, very worth it.  This is one of the first cookies I ever looked up on the internet waaaay back in the dark ages when there was still a browser called "Netscape" and everyone you knew was getting their e-mail from this thing called "America Online" and only rich people had cellphones and no matter how rich you were, all your phone did was make phone calls.  So the URL I have for it is an ancient AOL member address.  This is one of those recipes that's listed everywhere now, but 1999 AOL Member, "Chettoron," a huge Thank You! for changing my life all those years ago!  (Excuse me, I have to go soak my dentures now...)

Soft Ginger Cookies with Orange Glaze
 Cookies:
1 C buttermilk
2 tsp baking soda
3/4 C oil
1 C sugar
1 C dark molasses
2 eggs
3 3/4 C flour
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. ground cloves

In a small bowl, combine buttermilk and baking soda and set aside.  They will foam up.  In a larger bowl combine oil, sugar, molasses and eggs and beat until well mixed (about 1 minute).  Add the milk misxture and blend.  Sift dry ingredients.  Slowly add dry ingredients to wet mixture.  Let stand 15 minutes.  Preheat oven to 325.  Spoon onto oiled cookie sheet.  Bake 8-9 minutes til top springs back.  DO NOT OVER BAKE.  The cookies should be quite soft.  While cookies are baking, combine glaze ingredients.

Glaze:
2 C + 1 Tbs. confectioner's sugar
1 Tbs. butter (very soft)
1/4 C orange juice
2 tsp. grated orange zest
1/2 tsp. vanilla
dash salt

Remove cookies to wax paper lined cooling rack.  Frost while still warm with 1/2 tsp. glaze per cookie.  Let cool completely.  Transfer to trays and place in freezer.  Once frozen, pack in tins in single layers separated by wax paper.  These freeze well.

Review:
Soft, cakey, put 20 in your mouth at once kind of cookies.  It makes a heap so the effort is well worth it in the end and they do freeze beautifully.

And speaking of beauty, go check out the lovely Cara at Fork and Beans!  She's kicking major Jingle Bells over there with all her gluten free vegan conversions!

5 comments:

  1. I'm definitely kicking someone's jingle bells :) hehe. (I am not sure whose yet, but I like the sound of it)...
    I had to up the heat on mine for the recipe because the first 2 batches ended up to be a disaster--totally flattened like a pancake. It was terrible really. But thankfully the last 5 were salvageable! And that frosting. Oh lordy, I think I could have eaten the frosting alone...
    I love how you made fun designs on yours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and the initial start off of "Let me tell you something" in your post had me thinking of Jim Carrey's "Fire Marshall Bill" character. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you got yours worked out, Cara! They look awesome! And yeah, more than I care to admit of the icing went into my belly without ever touching a cookie... And the thought that you had Fire Marshall Bill in your head the whole time reading you a Christmas cookie post is frackin' awesome. =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...